Thursday, November 09, 2006

"Qoute Me Not" - Honoring Fallen Heroes

Posted by: Dr. Joseph Ozigis Akomodi

Written by Miriam Ikunaiye

Honoring Fallen Heroes

Memorial Day, a federal holiday formerly known as Decoration Day commemorates our American men and women who died in military action. In honor of the service men and women I visited the Arlington National Cemetery. Upon the entrance of the cemetery, the neatly arranged sea of white marble tombstones immediately reminded me of the greatness, collective bravery and sacrifice of these fallen heroes.

Arlington National Cemetery: Above View
Loved ones trying to hold on to sweet memories littered the graves with mementos. Some headstones adorned with wreaths, the other with simple vase of red roses and some with both plus photos. One particular headstone caught my attention. It was that of Sgt. Robert Joseph, it bears his photo holding his daughter Leilani with note saying "Daddy, I love and miss you so very much. Love Always." I felt a gushing anguish within my entire body. I turned away quickly to avoid the welled up tears from rolling down my cheeks.

As I strolled carefully through another section of the cemetery I came upon a young lady in a fetus position beside a grave. She was crying uncontrollably not even my presence could interfere with her emotion. When she finally looked up she saw in my eyes the share of her pain. Then she began, “My brother Paul was a Sgt. In the 48th Brigade, 108th Scout Division. He lost his life in Iraq when his HUMVEE accidentally rolled off the road and fell down an embankment into a canal. He was knocked unconscious and drowned. Paul was only 21. His body was non-viewable; he had badly decomposed before returning to the USA. Therefore we never had the chance to view him and to say our last goodbyes. Paul was and always will be my hero.”

At this point, I began to feel tightness in my chest; I was finding it hard to breathe freely, then, I knew it was time for me to head home. With so many graves, so much silence yet so many tears; this is a place one becomes humble.

Most of us will never know the pain, and the flood of emotions that happen to the loved ones of fallen heroes. However, the impact of these heroes will forever be felt. So, as we stood head cast in honor of our fallen heroes, we remember them now and always as the ones who paid the ultimate sacrifice defending our freedom. To them we say, we feel your determination, we understand your actions and we appreciate your bravery. Although we are all earth sojourner, you all have passed on leaving behind emptiness that can never be filled. With freshness we behold in our memories your selfless services. On behalf of the entire Etemeya Online, families and affiliates, we express profound gratitude to the courageous men and women who dare to defend and protect this great country’s ideals, values and its belief in democracy.

No comments: